Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Note About Context

Hello Scholars!

    After reading your posts I want to clarify what I mean about the concept of "context." Context means the situation in which the essay was written- like time (in the case of this week's article, right after September 11, 2001), is the writer rich, poor, southern, northern, etc? How about whether it is a man or woman, or other political and social issues of the time. All of that influences what a writer writes, and how a writer writes. These things are called the context of the article.  I am trying to teach you to look beyond just the article, and think about WHO the author is and HOW that changes their writing. Context DOES NOT MEAN MAIN IDEA. :) There, I feel better now.


1 comment:

  1. Very well said Mrs. H. You remind me of an English prof. I once had.
    Is it OK if I comment on the essays after the assignment due date?

    ReplyDelete